Sodium Bisulfate Animal Feed Grade (AFG) is used as a poultry feed acidulant and anion ingredient. Classified as a general purpose feed additive, sodium bisulfate was approved for use in animal feed in 1997.
Feed acidifiers are added to improve health and production of poultry. Reduction of pH of the diet shifts the microbial ecology of the gut while enhancing enzyme activity, solubility of phytate phosphorus and nutrient absorption. Feed acidifiers have also been shown to:
- Improve anionic/cationic ratios
- Improve feed intake
- Enhance immune function
- Improve weight gain and feed conversion
- Improve enzyme functions (Amylases, Proteases)
AFG is used as an acidulant and anion ingredient. Animal feed grade addition rates are 3-10 lb/ton in all rations for broilers and 3-6 lb/ton for turkeys.
AFG Product Chemistry
AFG is a dry granular acid that easily dissolves in water.
NaHSO–4 > Na+ + H+ + SO–4
The hydrogen lowers pH.
In 1997 sodium bisulfate was approved for use in animal feed. It is classified as a general purpose feed additive under the Association of American Feed Control Officials’ (AAFCO) Feed Ingredient Division. In 1998 the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) categorized sodium bisulfate as GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) for use in human foods.
AFG meets the guidelines of a green ingredient. It is:
- Ozone friendly
AFG follows the principles of Green Chemistry as described by the EPA and the California Department of Toxic Substances Control:
- The production process generates no waste and uses no solvents
- The process is analyzed in real time to prevent pollution and maximizes “atom economy” by containing all of the starting materials in the final products
- It is designed to be fully effective and has little toxicity
- It degrades after use breaking down into innocuous substances
- It is designed to minimize the potential for accidents including explosions, fires, and releases to the environment.
Have questions? Find the representative nearest you or call (888) 858-4425 for help with any of our products.